Monday, September 25, 2006

 
Well, I'm in. I might as well post.
Margo's nightmare in the ER (she didn't mention the hospital by name, for some reason) was hilarious and fishandfamily.com continues to entertain to the point of tears . . . but really, that's pretty much par for the course in ER's. I'm sure PM can confirm that sometimes the support personnel being who they are and the crush of patients at any given time can transform urgent and emergent care into a blur of community psychodrama and suffering. It infuriates me when I work without so much as a bladder break (and, of course, I'm terrified to take a drink of water), while the redundant support personnel saunter into the lunch room for a half-hour repast, leaving unregistered patients in the waiting area and undone xrays in the treatment rooms. And it's equally infuriating when people bring inappropriate, inexplicable, and incurable flotsam (like that, Lin?) to the ER or ICC, which is designed to treat well-defined acute pathology such as -- sprained ankles! We docs love sprained ankles! They're varied enough to be interesting, there's always a defined protocol for treatment, and the patient almost always feels better before our eyes. I'd take a sprained ankle in before a knife-wounded low-life anyday.
They really blew it with Yoni.
What was that hospital's name . . . ?

Comments:
Who commented and deleted their comment? What's going on?

I love flotsam and you spelled it correctly.

Just don't spleen me, Mark
 
Spleen? Are you talking "Everything is Illuminated?" Anyway, the hospital was St. Joseph's, which has a pretty good rep, though clearly they save the drek for the night shifts. How do we post on this super-cool new blog? I never received your "invitation"...and I already have a blogger ID...
 
your bloglist should list this one. Yes, I got the book! It's hysterical and I love his writing.

Nice post on hospitals. I'd like to hear more about this on FAM DOC MYTHS!!
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?