Thursday, October 19, 2006

 

The series so far

Well, no one really expected the Cards to last this long in the playoffs, anyway. It's been painful, at times, to watch the games, since
(1) Most of the team are shadows of their former selves (say, the team that won 100+ games some years back). This is especially true of Rolen and Edmunds (who actually came up and homered after clunking his head into the wall in #4, thus reversing a long period of foggy play since the last time he collided, ala some B-movie plot).

(2) Albert (Pujols, Chammie!) is clearly hurting.

(3) The baserunning is atrocious. This is especially painful for old Cardinal fans to watch.

(4) Even if they win the pennant, they'll be in the same position as 2004: too worn-out from a dragged-out LCS to even show up for the World Series.

(5) Linda, the venerate Cubs fan, wants both teams to suffer, but somehow the Cards even more than the Mets.

On the bright side, there's Yadier Molina, clearly someone who has been groomed all his life to play big-league ball. (any comments, Alex?)

Also, Simcha has maintained his connection with MLB: someone named "Michael from the ballpark" called the other day to invite him to join a bunch of vendors going to Detroit, where they are apparently short-staffed for the coming WS.

So, yes, I've spent waay too much time watching this stuff, when I should be doing shenayim mikra v'echad targum, according to the Rabbi, and other things like working, according to my wife. I don't know why I get sucked into this year after year. Tonight, I'll skip it and play some basketball (though they have a TV in the locker room).



Looking forward to hosting Leesa (and Michael!) this coming week. Don't forget Leesa's birthday on Oct 25 (also Pablo Picasso's, Duv).

ABA

Comments:
Tonight, I'll skip it and play some basketball

Woo hoo! The Cards have a chance!

And Oct. 25th is also... Uncle Scott's birthday, of course!
 
Too much pressure, but thanks for the reminder of the bdays. If we can't do that on this blog, we really stink.

Okay. It's true. I hated Willie Mays, Bob Gibson, speedy Gonzalz (some guy I can't remember his name but he really ran fast, all those guys, all the enemies of the Cubs, and I'm proud that I hated them and always will.

Was WIllie Mays on the Cards? My brain is mush on Thursday due to the wine that I finish from the Friday before.

Hey, it takes all week, okay?
 
Willie Mays, so far as I can recall, spent his career as a Giant.
 
Keep your right ankle safe, please. Basketball = the root of all evil.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?