Thursday, October 19, 2006

 

Somewhere between Verdun and the Somme

I would argue that this week was a bust. Simchas Torah was about as fun as it can be when you attend a shul where the mean age is somewhere around 65. Some of the young marrieds tried to keep it cool, but mainly the social hall just kinda smelled like Yuntif. Samnpatty where in town which was great, and my cholesterol skyrocketed with daily doses of prime rib.

And then it was back to the horrendous reality we all know as school. Well, for Tuesday I had a short paper due on the middle class during the 1950s. The problem with a short paper about an entire decade is self-explanatory. The same day I had my "print-art" project due in my Computer Graphics class. Now this one is just interesting because we all thought the point of taking a digital graphics class was that you didn't have to actually make anything. We were wrong. My project was pretty basic, but it was a pain because I had to go to Staples to get my pictures printed, and quite frankly, they don't speak English over there and I don't speak Bavarian. I made a bizarre wedding album, juxtaposing (nice use of an Artscroll word) pictures from my wedding with some I had on my computer. The goal, to quote my art professor, "is to create something that asks more questions than can possibly be answered."

Right about then I decided that art is idiotic.

Tuesday night and Wednesday night I went through sixty pages of my 20th century Germany notes to prepare for today's midterm, which I subsequently bombed because the essays were primarily based on books that I never read and that we never discussed in class. So now I'm an encyclopedic Streudel without much of a grade to show for it. But I digress. I will say this: being a Jew and studying 20th century German history is kinda like biting your tongue...you're in pain, you're upset, and all you can say is "Weltanschauung!"

Last night was parent-teacher night at Hebrew School. I suppose it went better than last year seeing as the 6 parents who actually cared to show up didn't tell me I was doing a lousy job disciplining their child (the jist of last year's event.) I did miss how no parents came up after class to reprimand me for not telling them that there kid seemed spaced out and needed more Ritalin (also the jist of last year's event.) The Hebrew School principle (grossly incompetent) drove off the nice secretary who used to bring us donuts. Now the principle brings these gross Entemann's cakes that no one wants to eat and that sit there for months. Soon I'm going to leave a note:

"No cake."

Tonight Chamster made an apple pie and I mostly sat on my duff reflecting on how I get my score next week and have to apply to Law School, which according to the professor who's writing my recommendation, "isn't the worst thing you can do, though to be honest, nothing else comes to mind right now."

DF


Comments:
" . . .nothing else comes to mind right now . . .

There's always comedy writing. You're a naural!

" . . .gross Entemann's cakes that no one wants to eat . . ."

Thanks for having the guts to express something we've felt all along.

"Right about then I decided that art is idiotic . . ."

Maybe not art, but certainly art "experts." Don't miss today's installment of FNF.
 
Dovid, Dovid, Dovid, Dovid! You're so freaking cool, seriously, learning words like Weltanschauung. I had to learn another weird German word, Shachenfreude? You don't want to know the meaning. So this week is the week of German words.

You'll do fine, fine, fine. And land on your feet, feet, feet.

There's more to that song, but I can't remember what!

Also, art IS idiotic. Unless you're Margo and making money at it.

But what they want to hear from you is that the world is yours to paint, life is art, one must live life ARTFULLY.

Crap like that. Love to Chammie.

Terrific post, the best so far, Love, Mom
 
Life is art? ART IS LIFE!!!

Funny stuff! But were there pics at the end that didn't show or somethin'?
 
I want apple pie.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?