Thursday, October 19, 2006

 

The System Works!


If you can't fight City Hall... join 'em! (A mixed metaphor which would make Safta proud.)

Yesterday was our big election for the Neighborhood Council, during which I voted... for myself. (This picture was taken with Rachelle's camera-phone, which is why it looks kinda wonky.) I ran for the Cultural Organization Seat, and the preliminary results show that I won by 48 votes. Now, that may not sound by much, but so far as I can tell, only 403 total ballots were cast.

For those who don't know how I got involved, here's essentially what happened. Last year, the Neighborhood Council (which has no real power -- they only advise their representatives in the City Council) tried to pass a couple of ordinances which didn't sit well with the Orthodox community of the neighborhood. So some guys from shul, including our dear Yoni, ran for the council and won. This year, they convinced even more congregants to run... and a healthy grassroots campaign was enough to secure five more seats, which is more than a majority.

Ah, democracy, gotta love it. I just hope the newspapers don't get wind of this story, because the anti-Semitic local media would love to blow this out of proportion.

Comments:
Congrats.
You come from a long line of Freedmans involved in local politics. Keep your nose clean and use your sense of humor (with which, for instance, you could have shown us 48 different shots of you voting).
 
I was class president in 5th grade.

Then I got impeached.

Then I ran and won again.

I also was the one who suggested we have a class president.

I also voted for myself, in an election of 14 kids.

DF
 
So proud. Oh, Dovid, I'm proud of you, too. (don't remember a dern thing)
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?